View Single Post
Old
02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Until they take away points for going to overtime or a shootout, they still count. Florida has 11 OTL and they're sitting at the top of the southeast. Do you think any Panthers fans really care that much about why they're where they are in the standings? They're happy because they had reasonable expectations entering the season (missing the playoffs, probably) and their team is playing better than they hoped. Most of the rage around here seems to be based on the expectation that this Kings team would be leaps and bounds better than the teams from 09-10 and 10-11. This overall sense of entitlement after making the playoffs twice is ridiculous. Making the playoffs is not a right. Not pointing at you specifically it's just an overall theme. A lot of people
wrote off Carolina tonight. Well, Carolina is a pretty decent hockey team with a hell of a forecheck and we saw it tonight.
I'm not talking about points and standings. I am solely talking about the fact that the Kings have won exactly as many games as they've lost under Sutter. Obviously they've been getting to overtime in several of those losses. I'm not disputing that.

The Kings are actually scoring fewer goals per game under Sutter than they did under Murray. The difference is that they are averaging 1.55 goals against per game.

The fact that this team is WORSE than the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 version is pretty disconcerting. I didn't expect them to be the best team in the NHL by "leaps and bounds," but I did expect them to improve. The core of this team (minus Quick) has clearly stagnated (and in some cases, devolved) in their development.

Carolina might have played a solid game tonight, but that's not an excuse for the Kings NOT to play a solid game. They showed up for about the first 15 minutes of the game and then watched Carolina control the game from there on out. The Kings could barely score one goal against one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. That's a problem.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote