View Single Post
Old
01-10-2006, 01:00 PM
multiball

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I don't know what the big deal is. I pretty much guarantee the Lightning organization (i.e. Feaster, etc.) had extensive talks with Andreychuk before making this move public. Everything that is being said is being said with class and dignity. The guy is 42 and is not playing up to the standards set by the new NHL. Of course, if the Lightning had an NHL caliber goaltender things might have been different...
Exactly. They didn't waive him off a fantasy team after thinking about it for an hour... They evaluated Shovel's poor play (all year) and made the best move for the organ-I-zation. Feaster obviously spoke with Dave about his contract before the news was made public. Yes, he's a popular player, but a good GM can make those tough decisions. If you've seen Tampa Bay play this year, you'd have to agree that it was a "Brett Hull situation" there with Andreychuck - as is the case w/ about 5-6 other distinguished veterans who are hanging on by a thread (cough *Chelios* cough).

They offered to honour his contract - for this entire year - even if he were to clear waivers, fer cryin out loud. Would it be more "classy" to have dead weight skate around for 3 minutes a game for the Lightning's remining 40 games, making a mockery of Andreychuck's contribution?