View Single Post
Old
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Neal Before Zod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Great thread guys! I'm coming for the Kings game 3/6. I'm visiting a friend in Atlanta and we are driving out from there. Don't let your wives and children out of the house.

Got a few questions:

1) I booked a room at the Best Western Music Row. Is that a decent area? The place gets good reviews so I'm thinking I'm ok. It was almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else. Also, is that walkable to the arena or should I plan to cab it?

2) How late are the bars open and are there any funny liquor laws like Jersey where you can't buy booze at a grocery store? In California we can buy beer/liquor at a gas station or just about anywhere. I just mention this because one of the first times I was in Jersey it took me a long time just to find some beer.

3) What are beer prices like? Will security pat me down? Staples prices are ridiculous so I usually smuggle in some vodka/whiskey in a water bottle. We have metal detectors but bringing a plastic bottle in is easy so I'm curious if that will be a problem.
1) Decent, not wonderful. But more or less, as good as downtown. The only difference being that there are probably going to be more people wondering around downtown at any hour of the night. You can walk it. In fact (since I hate cabs), I would suggest you leave extra early and walk...and take advantage of the bars in the area. If you can't make it 10 blocks without a drink, make sure you stop by the Flying Saucer behind Union Station (Broadway @ 10th Ave)...then go from there.

2) In Nashville....3am. If you want to be out later than that...well...bless your heart.

2a) yes, there are weird laws here...>6.5% abv is available in grocery stores and convenience stores, <6.5% abv is only available in package stores, and nothing else is available in those.

I would highly suggest that you look into Frugal MacDoogal's @ 8th and Division and Midtown Wine and Spirits if you are looking for booze. Even though we have weird laws, these stores offer both.

3) for me, beer prices are fairly ridiculous. You can get 3 reasonable beers for that price. The only way I'd pay $9 is if we are guaranteed to score (and that was apparently the case vs. Chicago not long ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Thanks to both of you! Exactly what I was looking for. We'll probably just cab it then because most, if not all of us, will be drinking.

Just one follow up, if we were to walk, is the area to and from the hotel/arena pretty safe? I can deal with crazies and homeless lurkers just not interested in getting mugged.
Save money, don't cab. Leave at 4-4:30 and go to the Flying Saucer. It will be a 5-10 minute walk. Then go downtown. Another 5-10 minute walk.

As far as the walk itself, if you are in a group of more than 1 person, I would say your chances of getting mugged are extremely low.

I might be "guarded" if on my own...but as part of a group....you should have 0 problem. It's not an unsafe area. Unless you wear a Red Wings jersey.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote