View Single Post
Old
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuhuskies View Post
This is my first year at Michigan Tech and I have obviously become a fan of their team. I was raised in the Detroit area so I know the Wings and the NHL very well, but not the Huskies and WCHA.

I was just wondering what others following the NCAA think or know about the Huskies and/or the WCHA.

Some things I know, or have noticed:
1. We are a lot better than we once were - Mel Pearson has turned the team around for sure with more wins this season than the last three combined
2. We step up against top-ranked teams. We are 3-2-2 against top 3 in the nation teams including wins against Denver, Minnesota, and Minnesota-Duluth.
3. Yet, we have a very average record including a loss to St. Lawrence.
4. We are terrible at defense and on the PP.
6. We score a lot of goals
5. Our high caliber competition is going to decline with the realignment.
6. Our goalie depth does not look too good

One thing I want clarified is the reputation we have as a dirty team. Is that how we are perceived? I can't tell, because I heard this over on FSN North, when they televised the UMinn vs. MTU game and Lucia and the MTU assistant coach were a bit fired up. The announcers were claiming we were and always have been dirty, but maybe they were just homers...
For me personally, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the Huskies this year. I give a lot of credit to Pearson and his staff for the job that they've done. And my vote for WCHA Coach of the Year would go to him if it were done right now. FYI, Pearson is also IMO one of the best recruiters in all of college hockey. If you don't believe me, look at all of the Michigan draft picks and (the recent) ones that have
gone on to the NHL. His recruiting and eye for talent will help MTU bring more quality players into fold in the coming years.

I disagree with the Huskies being a dirty team. I think a better term is "hard-working". Win, lose or draw, the Huskies will make their opponents work for any (standings) points. And that's been much more evident this season. They may not have all the top-end talent like North Dakota or Minnesota do, but they work just as hard as those teams with what they have.

Also, you haven't look at MTU's PP numbers nationally - they currently rank 10th at 21.9%. I'd say that's pretty darn good. They rank slight below the middle on defense and PK.

In regards to their goaltending, IMO consistency is a big problem. While Josh Robinson has a good save % (.911), his 2.80 GAA just isn't gonna cut it in the WCHA post-season.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote