View Single Post
Old
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Lombardi talks trade deadline, and he's traveling with the team to Florida. Perhaps a first hand look at some player(s) he's interested in from Tampa Bay...
Quote:
“The question about the rentals is just the price. If you look back, and you take all the deadline deals — just look at them and line them up — you’ve got all kinds of juice on deadline day, but how many of them have really effected the team? There’s this perception of all this juice and action, then you look at what really happens. Last year, arguably, we got one of the top players. How many players had average 25 goals? That was, `Wow, that was a big deal.’ In terms of the rentals, that’s always going to be there. As a practical matter, we don’t have a second and a third (round draft picks). Manchester is still a very young team, but you always have to be cognizant that (new) guys are coming through.’’

Question: So, as you look at it, it’s still a matter of finding the right fit?

LOMBARDI: “It’s being cognizant of knowing what we’ve got coming and knowing what we’ve got now. It’s knowing who we’ve got coming and who is going to help this team next year, and making (a potential move) fit with that. With a rental, you can say, `I don’t care if it doesn’t fit with these kids that are coming,’ but with other (trades), it’s, `OK, let’s trend this way.’’’

Question: But how patient can you afford to be? What if the only real option is a player who doesn’t necessarily “fit’’ with other things?

LOMBARDI: “I don’t have a problem with that. But as far as what’s out there, it’s like I said. There are probably seven or eight out there, but out of them, the ones that will be there as rentals, one of them will probably hit. Those are usually the ones that go to a really good team and don’t have to carry the mail.’
http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/02/06...hy/#more-20341