View Single Post
Old
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

vCash: 500
I'm interested in working in a front office in the NHL or NFL and I'm studying Sports Management at University right now. I've been fairly lucky in that I know Glen Grunwald (current Knicks interim GM & Senior VP of Operations, former Raptors GM) and Kevin Abrams (NY Giants assistant GM) as family friends, so I'm able to keep in touch with them about it. They've told me the most important thing is making as many connections as you can, and to volunteer your time whenever.

Being 16, that's probably the best thing you can do- any local sporting events, try and find a volunteer opportunity and meet people. Another thing they've told me to do is read as much as you can about sports business, sports law, etc. If you're in a program like Sports Management, by the end of your schooling there are going to be thousands of other people looking for the same job that you are and they've just taken the exact same course you did, so getting any sort of advantage is pretty critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
Another quick question, why is law important? I am not taking law right now but might consider a schedule change.
A lot of GM's in any sport have law degrees, it's not a job requirement per se but having a background in law is just another weapon in your holster.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote