View Single Post
Old
02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
tomd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
Flyers fan here and I have to admit to being really upset when the flyers dealt Richards to the kings. Richards was my favorite flyer and thought he was going to be a life-long flyer. I did think that the Carter deal was needed but it took me about week to get the look of astonishment off my face after seeing the richards deal. Althought Richards hadnt developed into the consisitent offensive player I thought he would be after an 80 point season a few years ago, I would have never predicted in a million years that he would be traded away since his intangibles were just as valuable as his points.

As for the trade, I had read the hype on schenn and seen the type of player simmonds was so i thought that it potentially could be equal value for richards at the very best. But after watching the flyers and kings so far this season i have to admit to being dead wrong about this trade. The deal favors the flyers and I never thought that was going to be the case. Schenn so glimpses of being a phenomonal player, much more then richards did at 20 years old in my opinion, so we will see what happens down the road with that. Simmonds is going to be a 20-25 goal scorer that is a pain in the butt for opponents to play against for the next decade.

As for Richards, in my opinion, something is missing. I cant put my finger on it but he just isnt the same player he was a few years ago. I dont know if he is always injured or if there are off ice issues, like the ones always reported. But he had an 80 point season in 08-09 and was a finalist for the selke trophy. He hasnt had more then 66 points since and he might not break 45-50 this season. But his points totals are the least of the issues in my opinion, he is far less physical then he use to be, his hit totals has gone down every year along with his points. I feel like when he is physical the rest of his game follows suit. Maybe it was the hit on Booth a few years ago that is always in the back of his mind when he is out there on the ice?

I wish I had a better reason for richards game going down but I just cant come up with anything substantial. But I do hope that he finds his game and resumes what i thought was going to be a very successful career. I wish him success in every game, well, except when he plays the flyers...
This will not sit well with the purple colored glasses crowd...

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote