Thread: Wayne Simmonds
View Single Post
Old
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Well, Giroux is on pace for 32 goals and 104 points this year. I still stand by my predictions with regards to Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek. I don't think Hartnell will be around afterwards and that Simmonds will fill his spot on the top line. Don't forget that in a few years time that you'll see that Briere, Hartnell, Jagr and possibly JVR are going to be gone. So, then you're looking at a lineup of:

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Cousins - Schenn - Read
Ranford - Couturier - Akeson
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

Yeah, some people might think I'm high with regards to what I'm predicting, but I'm also thinking that with the system Laviolette uses, there's no reason why any of them can't put up significant numbers with the system he employs. Lavs doesn't use a trap based system. He's very much a high skating, high forechecking system that players will always put big numbers up in. And when Schenn and Couturier mature, they're going to put up big numbers. As well, they're going to alleviate a lot of pressure on Giroux in terms of production and ice time.

Yes, this is going to be a dynamic club offensively. Big guys like Simmonds do well in Laviolette's system. Look at a guy like Erik Cole. He put up career numbers in Laviolette's system. And I'll definitely go on record and state that Simmonds at this point in his career is a much better player in terms of talent when compared to Cole at the same point.

Take it for what you want, but I won't be surprised in the future just how good this club is going to be offensively. When the defense matches the offense, this is going to be a scary good club - like late 90s and 2000s Detroit Red Wings good.
Is that the line-up for the Ho-Sang / McDavid sweepstakes?

EDIT: I think that puts far too much pressure on the top-line to carry the load offensively. Perhaps if JVR is still there it makes it more palatable, dropping Cousins to the third-line "agitator" role he's better suited for (from what I've read--feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd worry about the speed of that Ranford-Couturier-Akeson line. I know that Couturier's skating has and will continue to improve, but isn't the biggest question mark around the other two their own foot-speed?

I guess that line-up could work if we have am exceptional defensive corps in place, but I dunno.

I think it's much more likely that either Schenn or Couturier are playing on the top line--either at wing or at C (with Roo at RW).

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 02-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote