View Single Post
Old
11-10-2003, 10:20 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Of course a good prospect could be involved, but there's no way a 40pts 3rd liner like Grier (albeit a very good one), would get you straight up a top notch prospect like Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin or Kastsitsyn. In those 5 however, I think Hainsey and Perezhogin would be the most likely to move, but not for a player like Grier (at least not for him alone). He doesn't hold enough value. I think Rivet (1M paid), Sundstrom (part of salary paid by SJ) + 2nd rounder would be the maximum the Habs could afford to give up for Grier.
Interesting on Hainsey. I have heard from several quarters that he's perhaps dropping as a prospect, where his top end is concerned.

I don't think the Caps would bother dealing Grier for other veterans, and certainly not for veterans making as much or more salary. The idea from Washington's point of view in any and all trades is to get 1) younger and 2) shed salary. Both those elements probably have to be present in any Caps trades this year. Picks and prospects have to be considered the return, I think.

As far as Johansson, I only go by Hockey's Future, which had him rated Colorado's #1 prospect the day of the trade. Mahoney (Caps' head scout) and McPhee have always liked the guy.

Interesting deal to consider, at any rate.