Thread: Line Combos: 2012-2013 Season
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
HabsSlappy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Last night gave me the opportunity to watch a game from beginning to end, all the periods, overtime and the shootout and I must say, not only was I entertained in a long time, but I like what I see in the Habs future and here is why:

Definate keepers beyond this season:

Pacioretty, Desharnais, Cole, Bourque, Plekanec, Eller, Leblanc, Subban, Emelin, Gorges and Price

A core to build around:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - XXXXX
XXXXX - Eller - XXXXX
White - Leblanc - XXXXXX

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Emelin
Beaulieu - XXXXX

Price

Not only did I like what I saw but I think that we have the right core to move forward with some top end talent on the back end and hopefully a top three pick this June that might land us Yakupov, Grigorenko or Forsberg. Personally, I feel that the need is at centre and right wing, so Grigorenko might just be the perfect fit or Galchenyuk.

Montreal is not far from being a great team for a long time, if we look at our goalie situation and the defensive core, some might say that we will be safe for at least another 10 years, lock up Price, Subban and Emelin a.s.a.p. make Gorges a captain and develop Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis as best as we can.

Last night I also got to see a series of shooters in the shootout that were all over six feet tall, Bourque, Pacioretty and Cole have all added a much needed dimension to Montreal's line up and now it's time to draft a top line centre and develop Leblanc and Eller to be the 2nd and 3rd line centres of the future.

We are not in bad shape at all, especially since we might have a lottery pick in June to start the re-building and re-tooling!

GO HABS GO!
I agree that we have a decent foundation to start from. I think we are in need of a 1st line however. Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole is a capable first line but they will not win a cup if that's what we have going forward.

Plekanec needs to have a big winger with him (think Nash, Ryan, etc) or else he needs to be moved for a legit #1 centre. Ideally , you move Desharnais and put Plekanec with Patches and Cole.

Next, we have to make sure we get a first line forward from our high pick this year. We cannot afford to mess this up!

2 or 3 years from now:

XXXXX - 2012 First Rounder - XXXXX
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
White - XXXXX - Blunden/Other

If we are lucky Leblanc will keep progressing and take a 2nd line spot and Pacioretty can go to the 1st line. Then if lucky again, Gallagher or Kristo will be good third line wingers.

If we can get our forwards looking something like that, then we will start looking like a contender. Long term we have to hope that Eller continues to progress, then we can look at moving Plekanec, slide Eller to the 2nd line and Leblanc to the third line centre position with possibly Kristo on the third line wing.

Our up an coming defense is what I think a position of strength in the future. With Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Bennett all capable of being in the NHL or knocking on the door in 3 years. I would think that at least one or two of these players will be moved to shore up the forwards.

I for one won't be surprised if Tinordi, Beaulieu or Ellis are eventually dealt in some sort of package for a top 6 forward.

I love Kostitsyn but he is going to have to be moved for a pick. Same with Moen and Gill. Try and unload Campoli, Kaberle and Gomez for anything, but that will be tough.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote