Thread: Line Combos: 2012-2013 Season
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I agree that we have a decent foundation to start from. I think we are in need of a 1st line however. Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole is a capable first line but they will not win a cup if that's what we have going forward.

Plekanec needs to have a big winger with him (think Nash, Ryan, etc) or else he needs to be moved for a legit #1 centre. Ideally , you move Desharnais and put Plekanec with Patches and Cole.

Next, we have to make sure we get a first line forward from our high pick this year. We cannot afford to mess this up!

2 or 3 years from now:

XXXXX - 2012 First Rounder - XXXXX
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
White - XXXXX - Blunden/Other

If we are lucky Leblanc will keep progressing and take a 2nd line spot and Pacioretty can go to the 1st line. Then if lucky again, Gallagher or Kristo will be good third line wingers.

If we can get our forwards looking something like that, then we will start looking like a contender. Long term we have to hope that Eller continues to progress, then we can look at moving Plekanec, slide Eller to the 2nd line and Leblanc to the third line centre position with possibly Kristo on the third line wing.

Our up an coming defense is what I think a position of strength in the future. With Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Bennett all capable of being in the NHL or knocking on the door in 3 years. I would think that at least one or two of these players will be moved to shore up the forwards.

I for one won't be surprised if Tinordi, Beaulieu or Ellis are eventually dealt in some sort of package for a top 6 forward.

I love Kostitsyn but he is going to have to be moved for a pick. Same with Moen and Gill. Try and unload Campoli, Kaberle and Gomez for anything, but that will be tough.
Agree with you completely. Contending teams have at least three solid scoring lines; we have one-and-a-half. Definitely need that power forward to complete a line that includes Plekanec.

I have no idea why some people keep repeating that we need to trade Plekanec. The mantra is that "His value is high". Well, maybe that's because he has a very high value for US. He is exactly the type of player we'd need to get if we didn't already have him - he creates offense, is a great two-way forward and is fantastic on the PK. Geez, how many singlehandedly shorthanded breakaways has this guy created in the last few games alone? He's in great shape and not even 30, the type of player you build around.

The other thing I don't get is some people's singleminded fetish for bigger and bigger players, like it's the single most important factor. Dump Pleks or DD 'cause they're not big enough? Big enough for what? Effective play? Production? Consistency? They do all that and more. Yes, I know, our team was too small. Yes, I know it would be ideal to have a true first-line center with size. But big first-line centers are hard to find, and the Desharnais line has proved a small center can succeed with good size on the wings. Why dump what works really well for us? Just add to it. With Pacioretty, Cole, Bourque and a hopeful addition of at least another power forward, we're close to being where we need to be size-wise. Then it all becomes about the balance of talent in each line, not the necessity of having every forward over 6'. There's no reason to dump our most effective players under 6' just because they're not 'big'.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote