View Single Post
Old
02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Rumblick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Anaheim has had a rough road with its various AHL affiliates. They have had a string of AHL affiliates in recent years: Portland Pirates, Iowa Chops, Syracuse Crunch and even went one year (2009-10) without an affiliate.
Just a note - in 2008-09 and 2009-10, the Pirates were affiliated with the Sabres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Interesting point but why did they go to Syracuse from Portland? Why did they go to Portland in the first place if they wanted to be further west??? Why didn't they buy the Iowa Stars when it was in trouble? Nothing in any of their actions supports that they want an affiliate out west.

They bailed from their namesake team (Cincy) which is still further west than most affiliates and is a hub for Delta.
Chicago was open, so was San Antonio
Originally, the reports at the time were that they wanted out of Cincinnati because, having lost Louisville & Lexington a few years prior, their travel time had upped considerably. They looked at Portland (which was losing Washington to Hershey) because, given it's proximity to so many other clubs, they would spend less time on the road and therefore have more time for practice ( this is also one reason Tampa is allegedly looking at getting out of Norfolk). I think they underwent a change at the top in Anaheim that started them thinking "Westward Ho". As to why they don't just buy a franchise and move it out west somewhere, I couldn't even guess. They could probably do so if they were so inclined. There have also been more changes in the leadership put there, so who knows where they're coming from at this point?

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote