View Single Post
Old
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
A few facts for "mattlef":

1) Spezza's recent injury troubles proves he isn't bullet-proof. After Spezza, the next best centres are Smolinski, Fisher, and Vermette. If Spezza were to ever get injured during the playoffs, do you really want to be counting on the guys that I mentioned to anchor scoring lines come playoff time? The Senators goal is to win the Stanley Cup. And most, if not all, Stanley Cup teams have strength down the middle. Without Spezza, the Senators would perhaps be the weakest ever Stanley Cup winning team (if they were to win the Stanley Cup) down the middle. Translation: They had better improve their depth down the middle if they wish to give themselves a great shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

2) Potential doesn't translate to success in the present. Considering that the Senators goal is to win this year (in the present), why would they waste time and energy acquiring potential at the trading deadline this year? And besides, the Senators with their inexperience and youth, need more veterans and not less veterans.

3) Doug Weight is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, so both his salary and the effect of acquiring him would have on the salary cap are both non-issues.

4) You say that the Senators have enough experience? I say that a team can never have too much experience. And besides, most of the players you list as having experience don't exactly have experience in the good kind of way. And the rest of the team, players that you didn't list, is very inexperienced and young. I will repeat from an earlier point, the Senators need more veterans, not less veterans. I would also like to add that I think it is ridiculous for you to say that winning a Stanley Cup doesn't give a player experience. You must be joking right? Of course winning a Stanley Cup gives a player experience.