View Single Post
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Strategies for hockey-induced asthma

Okay, I've decided I'm really tired of dealing with my asthma for 24 hours after hockey, and I'm hoping someone on here has developed better strategies than I have.

Reference point: Asthmatic since childhood and on Advair 250/50 twice a day to control as well as Ventolin as necessary. Triggers are the usual (pollen, cigarette smoke, mold, etc.) with a heaping helping of exercise issues as well. I tend to cough a lot more than I wheeze, and I pretreat with Ventolin 15-20 minutes before each game.

As anyone with asthma probably knows, hockey is the world's worst sport for triggering it. Cold, dry air combined with anaerobic bursts is just killer. I feel like I'm dying for the first 15 minutes or so then level off for the rest of the game with relatively mild symptoms. That's not the issue.

The issue is I cough like I'm dying for about the next 24 hours, and it's all asthma. I've read enough about EIA to know that's a lengthy, post-exercise productive cough is entirely uncommon, but it's a big, giant pain in the butt. I don't want to use the Ventolin too much, so I usually just use it once later that night to try and get the coughing to go away long enough for me to sleep.

Any tips on better pretreating or managing the post-hockey asthma fun? Cause I'm sick of it at this point.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote