View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Also it's easy to list players who have improved. There's a big logical fallacy in citing one player who has improved to argue another player will improve. It's so big it shouldn't have to be pointed out. If all players improved then it's always a mistake to trade young players who've shown something promising.

Stewart could turn it around, then again he might not. But it has nothing to do with David Backes' development if he does or doesn't.
This is very true, and a good point to raise. Case studies "prove" nothing.

We would be remiss, however, if we fail to acknowledge that players rarely peak at 23 years old. In the same vein, it's also fairly common for players to experience peaks and valleys in their development through their low to mid 20s. Any analysis that is drawing the conclusion that Stewart is suddenly not the player he had been for the first 200 or so games of his career based on these last 50 is taking a fairly precarious position based on historical trends.

My personal take on Stewart is that he'll never be a "power forward" in the commonly accepted sense of the phrase, and expecting that from him will only lead to disappointment. He'll always be a big body that plays a "smaller man's game." With that said, he still has the skill set and instincts to be a very productive scorer in this league. Get him to focus on finding soft spots in the defensive coverage instead of simply standing directly in front of the net, and get him to shoot more often when he's in a prime scoring position, and my belief is that he'll be a very solid asset to any offense. The more the Blues try and force him to be something he's not, the worse he's going to play. Just my 2 cents.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote