View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
CGG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
He was pro scout & assistant manager under Gainey. Moves that Bobsled made with Gauthier as his Consigliere :

Ribeiro for Niniima.
Bulaj or Pleks (you make the pick Slaths) for Kovalev.
Garon for Bonk & Huet
McDonagh, Higgins, Valetanko for Gomez
the proposed trade of Pleks, Higgins & Subban for Lecavalier (nixed by Bettman)
a 1st round pick for one year of Tanguay
the advice to sign Gionta, Cammy & Spacek on a team that was already small & soft.
I see, so you can't really find anything wrong with the trades that Gauthier has made, so you have to blame him for moves that GM Gainey made? And go one step further to moves that never actually happened, like Plekanec-for-Kovalev (which still would have been a good deal) and Fantasyland Lecavalier deal (hint: the actual rumour had Gorges in the deal, and of course was only a rumour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The countless draft picks squandered to patch up holes.
Fortunately I can count. If you want to complain about 4th and 5th round picks for the likes of Sopel and Mara, go ahead, let me know when the players we gave up actually do something. Same with that 7th rounder for Nokelainen that no one will ever lose sleep over. I'll give you that 2nd round picks are valuable, so let's look at 2nd round picks given up:

2nd round pick for Moore
2nd round pick for Wizniewski

Both fantastic deals as far as I can tell. Moore was key to that playoff run and The Wiz was a hero for 50 games in Mtl, earning a $33 million contract for his troubles. Too bad he'll never get those two picks back. Oh wait, he did:

Fischer for 2nd round pick
Cammy for Bourque plus 2nd round pick

Fischer was a complete bust but thanks to a loophole that got turned into a 2nd rounder, which was the exact same pick given up for Wiz. And since you seem to be railing against signing Cammy to a team that was small, then you must be overjoyed at parlaying him into a much bigger Bourque plus one of these magical 2nd round picks that apparently have so much value. So really, we're no worse off in the draft pick department.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote