View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
It was the 80s? The Oilers generally had a playoff berth secured by what, Christmas?
Same can be said for those other teams too, though.

Quote:
Montreal finishes in goals against: 3, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Is Harvey better defensively than any Edmonton defender? Does anyone have Plante ranked lower than Fuhr?

Montreal finishes in goals against: 1, 1, 1, 1.

Did the Oilers' have a defense consisting of Robinson/Savard/Lapointe? Do they have Bob Gainey?

Does anyone have Fuhr higher than Dryden on their list?

Islanders 80-83: 4, 4, 2, 1 And this is with tandem goaltending in which XXXXX was at times playing more/better than Smith.

Oilers team finishes GA their peak years: 10, 8, 10, 8. Again with tandem goaltending most of the time. A dynasty team with middle of the road defense. At least in the regular season.
Again, the Devilís advocate position: maybe those GA rankings have something to do with their goalies stopping more pucks?

Quote:
The Islanders team which was past its peak in those years (84,85,87,88) still finishes better in GA those years, and Smith is being outplayed by XXXXX by that time: 4, 11, 9, 4
Iím not sure why that is relevant.

Quote:
Keeping in mind that Smith played all of 9 playoff games after 84, and Fuhr outplayed him in 84.. so I'm not sure what his playoff sv% shows in the first place.
Again, I donít know why this is relevant. For all four goalies I cherrypicked the exact years they won the cup. Smith in 1984 does not matter to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i have no idea how that points allocation system works (i don't like the sound of it), but ottawa's team D was not based only on their goalies and d-men.
I know, and it does allocate points to everyone, I was just showing an extremely simplified view of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Revisionism at its finest, folks.
Thatís not fair. I distinctly remember a good mix of ďheís the best goalie in hockeyĒ and ďheís overrated and anyone would have won with EdmontonĒ back in those days. This didnít just pop up in the new millennium and with new derivative stats.

You can say that is wrong if you like, and point out why, but these notions are not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Lada Togliatti completes our top line by selecting RW Marian Hossa

2 times top 10 in Hart voting
2nd in Calder voting in
AS voting history - 2, 3, 3, 3, 6
4 top 10 finishes in goal scoring (4, 5, 5, 6) - #5 among all active players
4 top 10 finishes in short-handed scoring (1, 1, 8, 10) - #3 among all active players
880 points (408G, 472A) in 950 regular season games
97 points (36G, 61A) in 127 playoff games
Good pick. Alfie, Iginla, Hossa and St. Louis seem to get harder and harder to choose between as time goes on.

Hossa must be doing something right out there. His CORSI numbers are always great, and I think he led the league once. I think itís an interesting feather in his cap that, more than almost any other player, the ice starts to tilt towards the opponentís net when he is on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
There goes another option I wanted for Sundin's wing.
You can't put those two together. Just a couple of overrated chicken swedes who never won anything, and look at their top-10s in scoring, they have like 7 combined!!!!

Last edited by seventieslord: 02-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.