View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Also , while st-louis is superb in term of consistancy , so is Alfredsson.From 00-01 to 09-10 , he never scored less than 70 pts with four 80 pts + seasons ( and one 100pts ) with a couple of these 70 pts season scored in 70 games or so.He's been pretty solid overall , don't want to sell him short on this.
It raises an interesting point about the whole "compartmentalization" thing we do when we break players' careers down into seasons. I always thought Iginla was close to a top-120 player and Alfie down in the 200s, then it was pointed out to me how their overall production has been practically identical over that time. For that to happen, it would mean Iginla peaked higher but Alfie was better in his off-peak years. Does either player really deserve that much more credit for either? Isn't the larger sample size supposed to be the most telling?

Interesting food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Oh you do, eh?

How old were you in 84-88 again?
I think you know the answer. I remember the years 1988 and beyond very well. Memories of the Oiler dynasty were obviously very fresh for everyone I knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Actually this is not true. Alfredsson has mostly been considered the guy that still played good when Ottawa were getting booted out of the playoffs during the dead puck era.
I agree. The scoring stats show this too. Ottawa's playoff secondary scoring was absolutely abysmal.

I am not saying he was some kind of hero, but he was.... OK.