View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, Moreau was a dominant offensive player in the OHL, even in his draft year, where he had 44 goals and almost 100 points. Higher scoring back then, but still. That was right up there with the 1st round talents who weren't tough.

Just looking at the numbers, he looks like a fraction of that type of talent, although perhaps there are some skills that just emerging. Seems more likely to be destined as a Jared Boll than Lucic, or even a Moreau.
This is what concerns me with Wilson. Even guys who carved out careers as simply "3rd or 4th line grinders" in the NHL tended to put up numbers in junior; those stats simply didn't translate to the NHL level. Wilson, however, isn't even putting up good numbers in the OHL.

When I think of recent powerforwards drafted high with a nasty streak, I think of a guy like Zack Kassian. He actually put up good point totals in junior, to go along with his physical skillset. While it's still to be determined how productive he can be at the NHL level, at the very least he's proven that he's offensively gifted enough to produce well in junior.

I'm always skeptical of seeing players with low offensive totals being taken high. Sure, they could always pull a Milan Lucic, but I think he's more the exception than the rule.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote