View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is what concerns me with Wilson. Even guys who carved out careers as simply "3rd or 4th line grinders" in the NHL tended to put up numbers in junior; those stats simply didn't translate to the NHL level. Wilson, however, isn't even putting up good numbers in the OHL.

When I think of recent powerforwards drafted high with a nasty streak, I think of a guy like Zack Kassian. He actually put up good point totals in junior, to go along with his physical skillset. While it's still to be determined how productive he can be at the NHL level, at the very least he's proven that he's offensively gifted enough to produce well in junior.

I'm always skeptical of seeing players with low offensive totals being taken high. Sure, they could always pull a Milan Lucic, but I think he's more the exception than the rule.
Sometimes, players are taken high for reasons aside from scoring goals. A true shutdown center is as valuable to a good team as a big point-getter, even if you're only getting a 15-20 goal guy.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote