View Single Post
Old
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
i posted this in the dirt thread, but i decided to post it here, b/c it is interesting and the imagery is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times: 3-16-1913
Joe Malone was lightning fast. He glided over the ice phantomlike in the heavy mist. His ghost-like figure seemed to be in front of every Wanderers skater and never did he fail to steal the rubber from an opponent. His hockey stick was like a thing alive, for it poked its way between skates and under falling players in a way which brought Malone the puck every time. He wiggled his way through the roughest scrimmages and always brought up in front of the Wanderers' net. Then he ripped the puck in. Sometimes, it didn't go in and hit Cadotte so hard in the chest that it almost knocked him down.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DB405B838DF1D3

does anyone know about the relationship between sprague cleghorn and eddie shore? i have seen some speculation about it b/c their styles of player were similar and they played together in boston. there does not seem to be much in "eddie shore and that old time hockey," but i cannot read all of it on google books.

i posted in the dishing the dirt thread some of a column by dink carroll in which cleghorn claimed credit for helping develop shore's rushing style. cleghorn, who was defensive coach of boston late in his career, said he set up chairs on the ice and had shore carry the puck between them.

shore also mentioned the chairs at some point, but, as far as i know, did not mention cleghorn. shore also said he had movies made of himself playing hockey, studied them and used them to improve his game, which would probably make him very innovative in the use of film. i don't know when film came into use, but shore retired in '40.