Thread: Gallagher
View Single Post
Old
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It didn't hurt Desharnais at all to have a couple of pretty dominant years in Hamilton. I think it mostly depends on team needs... true, if our lineup is really thin or injuries hit us and the young player in the minors is actually our best option to turn to (like Leblanc is now), then you can't help calling him up.

But to me, in an ideal world, even if Gallagher does have a good camp again, and makes a case for being "able" to stick in the NHL, I'd still like to hope that we have 13 other forwards who are already established, healthy, and also making cases. Our GM should really be trying to put together a roster this summer that doesn't include Gallagher's name on it. And then if that roster performs as expected and stays healthy, it basically shouldn't matter what Gallagher does. There's no harm in him learning to compensate on size/speed incrementally and ripping it up in Hamilton, if he can, like Desharnais did. His time will come.

Well, we can probably say there is no point in Gallagher being in the NHL unless he's playing top nine. He's an obligate right winger so that leaves 3 roster spots.

If Gionta and Cole are still with the team that takes two.
Leblanc and Palushaj are both further along in their development and could take the 3rd spot, so could Kosititsyn depending on how free agency goes. Kristo could also be ahead of him on the team depth chart but that's pretty iffy at this point.

So there really shouldn't be any reason to play Gallagher next year unless he's lights out good to start the season. Then you pretty much have to accept your blessing and run with him.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote