View Single Post
Old
02-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Raymones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Leaf fans were very high on Stralman. There were a number of threads including a couple born from a Swedish article where Stralman was called "the next Lidstrom"

Anyway seems most Leaf fans were ultimately right... just took a little longer...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=403256
It was a quote blown out of proportions. Getting drafted by the Maple Leafs didn't really help the case..

If I recall correctly, the quote was something like "I haven't seen a Swedish junior being able to dominate a shift like that since Lidström". The Swedish media spun on it, of course Toronto media and fans followed. I think it was the Swedish National Junior Team coach, Torgny Bendelin, who said it, but I'm sure my fellow Swedish fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've followed Strålman since juniors and always thought he had lots of talent, certainly enough to be a contributor at the NHL-level. I'm very glad he is doing well on the Rangers.

I've watched about ten Rangers games with him this season and it is obvious his defensive play is improved. He always had the smartness, but this season he also added a physical edge to his game. He uses his body more, wins battles, blocks shots, hits. Overall he's way more effective in his defensive game. The coaching staff has done a terrific job, and he seems to have responded big time to the "accountability" mentality (which I think was lacking in Columbus, and somewhat Toronto too). I'm very impressed by the fact that he, while making this change to his game, only collected 6 PIMs.

The last couple of games, IMO, he's started to look as comfortable and confident as he did when he established himself in the SEL and the Swedish National Team. I'm sure he will contribute more offensively as the season goes on. He's always done well in that regard, and hopefully the coaches give him more PP time.

Last edited by Raymones: 02-11-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote