View Single Post
Old
11-10-2003, 04:08 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Note I didn't say he should sign. (I do think he *ought* to, but it's pretty obvious MC doesn't hold the same ideas I do about right and wrong.) I've already said what I *think* he should do. It's pretty obvious he's not gonna do that either.

I think MC would have helped his situation a lot more than what he's currently doing by signing on the condition that Lowe seriously investigate trading him. He's doing NOTHING for himself by practising with the Golden Bears and squawking on HNIC. He'd probably have to take less from other teams after this; other GMs won't want an obvious headcase.

He can't hold any veto over where Lowe trades him; his rights are owned by the Oilers. He signs an offer sheet elsewhere, the Oilers can match. In $CDN, no less. He says "I won't play there if you trade me there", Lowe says "ok, fine, you won't play then, cos now I'll have to find another trade partner". (And then if Lowe wants, he can say publicly "Well, I tried, I had a deal with xxx and Comrie said he wouldn't play there," although he seems too astute to use playground tactics.)

So we know what you think Comrie thinks he's gaining, but my question still stands.
Your original question was "I've defended Comrie here before - do the research if you care - but I'm really wondering what, exactly, he thinks he's getting by not signing anything. I'm REALLY wondering what, exactly, his agent thinks he's getting for MC by saying "he'll sign elsewhere for less to facilitate a trade". That's great, he just shot MC in the foot."
Maybe I answered without enough clarity. So how does Lowe trade Comrie without having Comrie signed? The team he was traded to would then have to sign Comrie. Not many teams would trade a quality player for the RIGHTS to Mike. The offer sheet idea was discussed ad nauseum elsewhere but the gist of it is Mike signs an offer sheet for a small amount to minimize draft selections to the Oilers and a contract that has bonus clauses that are easy to meet but are not included in the compensation for draft choices. If Lowe matches, whether CDN $ or not, Comrie still gets the salary he wants in $ US and next year the starting salary is the $ US not $ CDN.

You are right in that Lowe doesn't have to trade Mike, he can just sit him, at least until a new CBA is signed at which point all bets are off. So Mike loses a year and the Oilers lose their top center for a year. Mike isn't hard up for money but Lowe has no center now or on the horizon. The Oilers lose more than Comrie, at least if your objective is to have the best team you can.