View Single Post
Old
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Bob Barker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It's that time of year again! I'm still licking my wounds over how my AL Only season ended. I finished in 2nd place by a half point. An extra save (I missed out on one because I didn't realize Kyle Farnsworth had come off the DL ~10 days before the end of the season), an extra steal, or an extra win would have given me that half point.

On the final day of the season, Phil Humber threw a gem and I was poised to get that win. But then Chris Sale blew it in the 9th.....and I now forever hate Chris Sale ($140 diff between 1st and 2nd place).

Nevermind the borderline collusion trade between a husband/wife combo in our league. The husband sent Paul Konerko, Michael Young, and Alexei Ramirez to his wife for Alex Gordon, Casey Kotchman, and Tyler Flowers. Gordon had value as a keeper for this year, but that was a pretty hefty price for on keeper.

[/cool story bro]

I should be set up pretty well going into this season in terms of keepers. Long story short, we can keep guys at +$7 from what we paid for them in 2011. Here's my list of potentials:

[9 teams | 2 C | 1B | 2B | SS | 3B | CI | MI | 5 OF | DH | 5 SP | 3 RP | 1 P | 7 BN]

C: Carlos Santana ($15) - .239 average hurt, but 30 homer potential is worth the $15. Plus it's a two catcher league, so this is a huge bonus category.

TBD: Mark Trumbo ($8) - Got unexpected value out of him for $1 last season. Rumblings of him moving to 3B? 3B was fairly shallow in the AL last year. But not sure he'll get enough ABs and I'm kinda skeptical of him repeating.

1B: Eric Hosmer ($13) - Comparable CI would go for the high teens, so this seems like a logical keep.

OF: Matt Joyce ($8) - Tremendous for $1 last year but his BABIP was high and eventually caught up to him. $8 for 20 HR / 10 SB is solid value though.

OF: Desmond Jennings ($8) - Had to wait forever last season, but he was a huge boost when he finally got called up.

OF: Mike Trout ($13) - Probably won't keep him at that price, but I still can't seem to completely dismiss it.

RP: Jordan Walden ($8) - Cheap for a closer.

RP: Kyle Farnsworth ($12) - Also cheap, but also have to worry about him being traded (in our league, if the guy gets dealt to the NL, you have to drop him).
I'd definitely keep Jennings, Santana, Walden, and Hosmer. Some others I'm on the fence on. I don't think I'd keep Trumbo, but I'd roll the dice on Joyce.