View Single Post
Old
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
No, I am absolutely confident Timmins and the staff will have preferences, regardless of position played. To say 3rd and 15th are interchangeable, so you might as well rank all the centers at the top, sounds ridiculous to me. Murray and Girgensons are not interchangeable, any more than Jack Johnson and Ryan O'Marra were.

As far as the depth of elite talent, every draft is different. In 2006 there was a big dropoff after 5. In 2004 it was after 2. In 2005 and 2007 there was a huge dropoff after 1. In 2003 it was sprinkled throughout the 1st round. Looking at past drafts, I don't see anything that suggests 3 as the magic number.
Sounds fine to me, the team needs offensive talent desperatly. We don't need to wait another 5 years to develop a good dman so we can then go through the process of trying to trade him for the player we wanted initially. If you never draft offense you wont get young offensive players, it is damn hard to trade for them because teams don't want to trade them. Simple as that.

Drafting a player that has no spot on your team when you have glaring holes is downright dumb. After the top elite players (arguably Yakupov, Grigorenko Galchenyuk) who is to say Collberg isn't as talented as Forsberg? Or maybe Reinhart is better than Murray? It is a crap shoot so pick the one that suits the team, not just some random guy who may or may not be better.

Our offense is downright anemic and we have Tinordi and Beaulieu who will be fighting for NHL spots in a year or two. Add in Subban, Gorges and Emelin and you have almost no open spots. Meanwhile we have Gallagher and who fighting for top spots on the offensive side? It is too hard to trade for young elite offensive talent, we need to pick several THIS year.