Thread: Jerred Smithson
View Single Post
Old
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
As I've said repeatedly, he's a role player. (use the search function if you'd like to confirm that I've said it repeatedly)

Three kills so far in the Boston game .... 1:36 of short handed time. He's taking over 25% of the PK time. 1-2 at the dot .... 100% in the defensive zone.

He can lose over 40 consecutive draws and still have a higher FO% than Spaling, but winning the draw isn't important. Of the forwards, only Toots has more hits.

His skill sets are becoming more and more redundant, but, they aren't completely covered by those of other players yet.
Have faceoffs affected our win loss percentage over the years? No. Do we have guys that can fill his role? Yes. The thing everyone is concerned with from our forwards is scoring. Having in the lineup does not help whatever line he is on. He has no offensive ability. You talk about winning faceoffs and while that's a nice thing that he brings, what about all the times he can't control the puck on his stick from a simple pass and loses the puck? Are we going to find a way to defend that too? He loses the puck off his stick more than he wins faceoffs during a game. In that case we lose possession which is just as bad as winning or losing a faceoff.

How many forwards can play the PK? Legwand, Erat, Fisher, SK, Spaling, Hali, Bourque and even Tootoo in a pinch. That's 8 guys. That's more than enough.

There was one sequence in the second where he couldn't clear the puck out of the zone, 3 times. 3 times in one freaking sequence. One time, the puck went right to their guy at the point for a good scoring opportunity. Once again, winning faceoffs and hitting a few guys does not outweigh the bad things he's doing on the ice these days. Notice how much time he got in the third?

Yes, he's a role player. Do we need a one dimensional sort of guy on this team anymore. No. McGrattan is the exception since he has the ability to go toe to toe with other teams heavyweights.

And while we're at it, I've never been a fan of Smithson. He's been tolerated because we didn't have the pieces or the skills to replace him. We do now. If he never sees the ice again for the Preds I'd be more than happy about this. He's gotten older, slower, has no offensive skill, has no instincts for the game and is honestly here because of Trotz's love for his vets. At some point, hopefully sooner than later, he's gone.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote