Thread: Which is it?
View Single Post
Old
11-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Cujo_31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
When will people start to admit that the defence is lackluster? I'm not comparing Salo and Conklin. I'm saying neither goalie is given a chance go play up to their standards, because our defenceman have yet to play one solid game this year as a group. One game Eric will be our best dman, and the next he will look like Tom Poti without the offence.

Salo has been poor but not terrible by any stretch. Team defence has inflating his bad stats, and the case will be the same for Conklin if things don't change. Conklin had a good game, I'm not going to take that away from him, but I would be worried about going into the playoffs right now with the way our team is currently playing.

well the Mike Comrie situation has to have had some effect on that, plus we're still adjusting without Janne Niinimaa who was dealt at the deadline last year, I think people seem to be forgetting that...Janne was one of our best d-man the last few years, & Brewer hasn't been spectacular, he's starting to come on a little bit, but still hasn't emerged as our top d-man, consistently game in -game out..but I believe just give the defense a little more time & we'll get better, especially as soon as the Comrie situation is in the past...the Oilers have come thru most of the time when they're facing adversity, it's something they do well, & I believe more then ever the Oilers will come on stronger as the season goes on, & even more-so when Comrie is dealt & everyone can move past it & just concentrate on playing hockey, you gotta realize with all the rumours going around, that every player in the Oilers dressing room, is wondering if they might be packaged up with Mike Comrie in a deal, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA expiring next year, if the UFA age is lowered to 27, Smytty could be a UFA after next year, at this point ANYTHING can happen, and when the Comrie ordeal is finally over, everyone that is still on the team in the post-comrie era will be performing much better.