View Single Post
Old
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Upgrading your blueline depth isn't like flushing dollars down the toilet. You aren't being rational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Your analogy doesn't fit because that's not what I'm suggesting. There is nothing to be gained from flushing a dollar.

Hal Gill SHOULD be better than MAB or Gus. Therefore he SHOULD improve this team. That is what you'd be buying. That is why I don't want to pay much for it.

The rash, irresponsible, reckless, and wasteful move would be trading major assets and go "all-in"; because it certainly doesn't seem like we can take NYR or Boston in our current state. But it's not like we're sitting in the 8th seed right now with a bunch of grinders that happen to be having career years. We're in 4th for god's sake. We have offensive talent coming out of our butts. We have talent at goaltender if it ever decides it wants to show up. We have 4 defenseman who we've all seen play very well at times, but right now they are all lost (except for Kimmo). We are a good team, we just have a few holes. So I say, go ahead, make the minor move.

Hell, I'm not even one of the people clamoring to get MULTIPLE rentals. I am saying make ONE, minor move, for next to nothing, to improve this team.

Exactly.
It's flushing it down the toilet because whats the point of improving the team a tiny little bit when its still going to end up in the same end state as if we didnt get him. If you really think somebody like Gill is going to make some significant change in our chances to win a cup then I dont know what to tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
With these hindsight trades I feel you should list the actual players drafted.

Don't get me wrong Modry sucked but they got Geordie Wudrick. A player who will likely neven even skate on NHL ice.

The Gauthier trade was a little worse for us but still Shawn Matthias isn't looking like anything special. Cory Emmerton isn't much of a prospect. When you look at the picks around those guys the only player that was worth while was Lucic everyone else is pretty bad looking and there was nothing to imply we would have taken Lucic. We drafted Nodl shortly before Lucic and Bodrov a defender shortly after.

Occasionally the Flyers gave up a pick that ended up being a good player or at least close to a good player but a lot of those draft picks never panned out anyway.

Most of the time those mid to late round pick trades don't hurt a team because those rounds are so watered down and erratic.
Totally irrelevant. Who other teams picked is not important and the Flyers almost certainly would not have made the same picks

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote