View Single Post
Old
02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Okay, well if you put it like that, then we can approach it that way, too. Now, the decision the GM is faced with first of all, is whether or not to make a move. At this point, it's not about the return at all. If no moves were made, it's equally possible that we still miss the playoffs, given how January/February had gone that year.

So, like you said, if a move had to be made, then the decision is whether to go for short term help, or look for a return that depends/focuses more on the future. Maybe there simply weren't any deals that could have worked AND helped us better for a playoff run that year. Also have to remember that Gorges was holding down roughly the same minutes in San Jose that Rivet was in Montreal by that point (plenty of nights up over 20 mins), so I don't think they were worried about replacing Rivet's minutes as much as his leadership, experience, etc (never really relied on for "production").

But when you have the chance to grab someone's 1st round draft pick in exchange for that notion of leadership/experience (since, from an operational/managerial standpoint, the value is otherwise roughly equal), you grab that 9 times out of 10, imo, if you think there's enough of what you're giving up left in the dressing room, and if there are enough names in the draft that you like. And like I said earlier, given hindsight that goes up to 10 out of 10.
Just to rectify, in 2007 Gorges was often Scrached (even in Montreal, if i remember well) and averaged a full 4.30 minutes per game less than Rivet over the entire season.
Only 10 out of 47 games, gorges played more than 20 minutes.

Last edited by palindrom: 02-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote