View Single Post
Old
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
In the early to mid 2000's they assembled a lot of pretty solid veteran teams. Guys were maybe a bit past their prime, but much much better than the Habs were. Thinking of Koivu's linemates I can come up with Brian Savage/Oleg Petrov, Chad Kilger/Sergei Berezin I think the year he returned from illness, Zednik/Whoever, maybe Nicklas Sundstrom for a bit . I guess Kovalev, occasionally, and Higgins/Ryder was a decent set of linemates for a while.
Just to fill in the gaps for you, Koivu's top two sets of linemates (as far back as I can prove):

'03/04: Bulis/Ryder, Zednik/Perreault
'05/06: Higgins/Ryder, Kovalev/Zednik
'06/07: Higgins/Ryder, Latendresse/Ryder
'07/08: Higgins/Ryder, Higgins/A.Kost
'08/09: Higgins/D'Agostini, Tanguay/Kovalev

I think I'm correct in remembering '02/03 as being Bulis/Zednik, and it was the missed year before that. The 2000s weren't really that bad for Koivu in terms of linemates. The only really, really dark spots I can remember are in that '99/00 area (Recchi and Damphousse left town), and maybe that one season or so Koivu was surrounded by worse than Sundin ever was.

Still despite the relative suckitude of linemates being about equal, let's say, Sundin deserves props for still being the consistent PPG guy he was every year, regardless.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote