View Single Post
Old
02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
The Doors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Just to fill in the gaps for you, Koivu's top two sets of linemates (as far back as I can prove):

'03/04: Bulis/Ryder, Zednik/Perreault
'05/06: Higgins/Ryder, Kovalev/Zednik
'06/07: Higgins/Ryder, Latendresse/Ryder
'07/08: Higgins/Ryder, Higgins/A.Kost
'08/09: Higgins/D'Agostini, Tanguay/Kovalev

I think I'm correct in remembering '02/03 as being Bulis/Zednik, and it was the missed year before that. The 2000s weren't really that bad for Koivu in terms of linemates. The only really, really dark spots I can remember are in that '99/00 area (Recchi and Damphousse left town), and maybe that one season or so Koivu was surrounded by worse than Sundin ever was.

Still despite the relative suckitude of linemates being about equal, let's say, Sundin deserves props for still being the consistent PPG guy he was every year, regardless.
Cool, thanks. No disrespect to Sundin he was a wonderful player. I've gone through the Leafs rosters the last few years. Ironically once they realized they needed to surround Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe, Tucker, Roberts (their core basically + all star goalie, either Belfour or Joseph) they started moving all of those picks and assembled a friggin (over the hill, but nonetheless) all star team. Nolan, Niewendyk, Mogilny (UFA if I remember correctly, but still..), Leetch, Francis, etc were all on the same team for one playoff run. Damn.

They moved a lot for those players to help out Mats, etc. and it really hurt their prospect cupboard for a while. Ironically those same core players never wanted to be dealt when the time came and they could have really helped to re-stock the Leafs system.

Oh well.

It's amazing how much this league has changed. Habs used to roll third lines of veterans like Dackell - Juneau - Sundstrom, or Bulis - Bonk - Johnson. Now it's Eller holding down that role..

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote