View Single Post
02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I don't agree that Gibson is a "superior goalie" to Subban. Not at all.

In all honesty, I think Vasilevskiy is receiving a little too much credit (on most list) from his WJC performance. He was certainly good and definitely a top 3 goalie in this draft class but I still think Dansk and Subban are better options between the pipes.

What's the purpose of you ranking and mock drafting based on Statistics? Doesn't hold much value when NHL teams don't use that approach. Just curious as to why you choose to do it that way.
I had Vasilevskiy as my n'1 goalie before the WJC anyways. To me, he's a franchise goalie if he comes over.

I always had an interest in stats and maths at school but never applied it much to sports analysis since basic stats like goals, assists, rushing yards or whatever don't have much predictive value in themselves.

However, after 1st reading moneyball, I became very interested in the "deeper" statistical analysis in sports. I know teams don't use stats much except for a few teams. Especially in hockey. Outside of Vancouver, there's not too many teams out there that will rely on statistical models to run their team.

That said, I'm simply a fan at home. I don't have time to watch X player play in Skövde, Sweden in the Division-1 league. So, I thought I dig deeper in stats, and general data available for prospects and thought I'd buil a model to analyse players and form my own opinion. Not that I don't care for anyone else's. There's still plenty of work to do on my algorithms, but still. That way I get to "see" players in a different way.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote