View Single Post
Old
11-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Habsolution

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
Perreault should play the wing with Koivu instead of Audette. He's a good shooter that needs a setup man.(Audette's had his chance) And Saku's enough of a player to cover for his defensive deficiencies. Who knows,Perreault may pick up his defensive game.
I'll give you 5 reasons why I don't see this happening.

1. Perreault is slow
2. Perreault is soft and would have diffilcuties to retrieve puck along the boards
3. Perreault is not a very good passer (to be kind)
4. Using Perreault on the wing means taking away one of his best ability : faceoffs winning %
5. Perreault is horrible defensively

If you're small and soft you gotta be fast and you gotta be a good sniper or passer.

If you're slow you gotta be able to play physical, retrieve pucks along the boards and be able to stay in front of the net to deflect pucks and chip in rebounds.

Defensive awareness is a nice bonus to the above.

Now if you can't do any of those things at a certain level you gotta have one hell of a wrist or slap shot, awesome offensive awareness and some very unselfish and creative linemates.

Perreault hasn't got enough of those qualities to be effective in a winger role. I just don't see how he could be effective on the wing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard it was tried before and was a totaly unsuccesful adventure.