Thread: Souray
View Single Post
Old
11-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Medicine Twin

vCash: 500
Well, I for one won't say that I always liked Souray. In fact, I thought he was horrible in his first little while here and wanted him traded...

That was up until the 2001-2002 playoffs. Where he WAS likely our best D-man against the Bruins and arguably against the 'canes as well. I knew such a good playoff performance would be a huge confidence boost for him and with the long wait to get back to the game, he'd come out flying.

I HAD predicted his breakout this season along with Ribeiro's because of the above reasons (look it up in summer "prediction" threads if you don't believe me). But if you had asked me 2 years ago if I thought Souray would be the player he is now, I would've laughed at you.

Now, against what others have said so far, Souray has not become an offensive force. He's still a stay-at-home, physical, D-man whose big shot is used on the PP... most of his points are on the PP. And he won't continue to score at this pace as other teams' PK units will be looking for him. His shot hasn't improved, he just shooting alot more. He DOES look to be faster though, I agree.

As for Markov, he's still our most skilled D-man, but he's been very inconsistant. It may have something to do with his defensive partner being inconsistant as well though. One knock I always had on Markov was his inabilitity to work the point on the PP. Despite his skill, he doesn't have the patience or the vision for this task. Keep him on the PP, but allow him to be the guy who sneaks in off the point rather than the QB.