View Single Post
Old
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I think a lot of the doom and gloom from this team stems from how much the defense has regressed. Going into the season expections were tempered because of how young the forwards would be. It was expected that if we contended it would be because our strong defense and goaltending would keep us afloat.

However, the goaltending has been inconsistent and the defense has been terrible. Everyone is excited about the future of the offense, but where do we go from here on defense? Coburn and Meszaros have taken huge steps backwards, Carle has looked bad and is probably on his way out, Timonen is too old to build around, and guys like Bourdon and Gustaffson don't seem to have top pairing potential. It's really starting to look like the defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt but there are very few good options out there (especially if a third of the league is bidding for Suter this summer).

Honestly I love our forwards and I'm more optimistic than most about Bryzgalov (I think he will bounce back, if not this year than next year. He is not as bad as he has looked this year). But the future looks bleak on defense and forget about finding an easy fix. Even signing Suter won't be enough. I don't know what happened to Coburn and Meszaros but unless they go back to their 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 forms respectively I'm not sure if they even qualify as top 4 guys (in which case they are making waaaay too much money).

So even though this team is exceeding expectations, the flaws that they are showing are much more troubling than the weaknesses we expected (inexperience up front).
Excellent post!

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote