View Single Post
Old
02-13-2012, 05:41 PM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That's right. Toughness can be the obvious kind like Boston's mix of size, aggression, grinding style and physical intimidation, or it can be the Datsyuk kind of toughness where you just go out and have the balls to play your game your way, while taking the punishment and punishing the opposition by capitalizing on their mistakes and penalties.
I think Thomas Holmstrom is one tough SOB......how many crosschecks has that guy taken in the back? I don't think I have ever seen him discouraged from getting into his "office" (in front of the goalies face...hehehhe).

I am in full agreement with the your notion of one-dimensional goons being obsolete and not really a contributing factor to success. I really love watching the Bruins (not against the Leafs however as they tend to destroy the Buds), but in the playoffs. They just punish teams and wear them down. I love that kind of hockey. But as you said toughness comes in many flavors and one does not have to drop the gloves to demonstrate it. My example of Holmstrom and that of Datsyuk are exactly the tough players who don't need to fight but are winners to have on your team.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote