View Single Post
Old
02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I still think their drafting in the first round has been mediocre.
I think everyone can agree they didn't start drafting well until 2004. Since then their firsts have been:

2004: #6 Montoya and #19 Korpikoski

Montoya is the only high pick they've had over this period. The 2004 draft did not have a great first round. Players who turned out well: Ovechkin (1), Malkin (2), Ladd (4), Stafford (13), Radulov (15), Zajac (20), Schneider (26), and Green (29). The bottom half of the top 10 where they were picking was complete garbage. Nobody they missed was a franchise player (maybe Green if you squint really hard). I guess you can fault them for taking Korpikoski over Zajac, but Korpikoski has turned out to be a good NHL player in his own right.

2005: #12 Staal

The only people unhappy with this pick are the loonies.

2006: #21 Sanguinetti

The only outright terrible pick in the bunch. The fact that the Flyers were apparently going to take him over Giroux makes it even worse. Other than Giroux though, nobody else picked behind them in the first round amounted to much either. This is a pick that looks way worse in hindsight than it did at the time.

2007: #17 Cherepanov

Nothing to say here except this: RIP

2008: #20 Del Zotto

If you redo the 2008 draft today, he'd be gone by the 10th pick (and so would Stepan).

2009-Present: #19 Kreider, #10 McIlrath, #15 J.T. Miller

The early looks are encouraging, but it's too soon to know.

When you break it down, it's hard to find much fault with their recent drafting methodology. Nobody gets every pick right. Their post-first round success over this period (Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer, Anisimov, Hagelin, and Stepan) more than makes up for any shortcomings.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote