Thread: Mark Recchi
View Single Post
Old
01-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Although his point production is up, his play in the defensive end is average at best and I think that is being kind. His +/- rating is the 2nd lowest of Flyers d-men (Therien is the only one lower).

I'd rather have a defenseman that I can depend on defensively (thus the position is called defense) than a defenseman who chips in some points on the PP and is a liability on defense. Kapanen is doing a more than adequate job at the blue line on the PP.

As far as I am concerned, Rico can hang 'em up and go to the Copa Capana.
Seidenberg is below him as well. Jones and Meyer are only higher because they got to play with the club when it was playing better all around defense... and Desjardins didn't exactly have glowing pairings to start the year, played with Hatcher (when he was getting killed) and Therien, did he not?

I thought his defensive play was fine. He still has the excellent poke check and is above average in his mobility. Not to mention, +1 at 22 minutes a game matching up against the opponents top-line, which he was, is nothing to scoff at.

Kapanen is doing fine on the point, but he isn't nearly as calm back there as Rico, which we definitely miss on the PP. Pitkanen and Rico can't get back soon enough just to bring back some semblance of order along the blueline on the PP.