View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
bleeney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I think Thomas Holmstrom is one tough SOB......how many crosschecks has that guy taken in the back? I don't think I have ever seen him discouraged from getting into his "office" (in front of the goalies face...hehehhe).

I am in full agreement with the your notion of one-dimensional goons being obsolete and not really a contributing factor to success. I really love watching the Bruins (not against the Leafs however as they tend to destroy the Buds), but in the playoffs. They just punish teams and wear them down. I love that kind of hockey. But as you said toughness comes in many flavors and one does not have to drop the gloves to demonstrate it. My example of Holmstrom and that of Datsyuk are exactly the tough players who don't need to fight but are winners to have on your team.
True, toughness does come in many flavours.

Dmitri Yushkevich played over 1100 games and had just three fights. But no one in their right mind could possibly say that he wasn't tough... the guy was a hard-rock player who hit hard, got hit, blocked shots, and played despite numerous horrific injuries. He could play on my team any time.

Currently, I love the way Grabovski plays the game. He's a tough little s.o.b. in his own way. The guy is absolutely fearless, and is more than willing to pay the price to make a play. And no matter how hard he gets hit, he'll get right back up and do it all over again.

I really hope Burke can re-sign him, and not just for his offensive contribution. He's a warrior.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote