View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
northvanman

vCash: 500
I think the only two Ontario cities who could successfully host the University Cup are Thunder Bay and North Bay. You would think that K-W would be a good spot, given that Waterloo, Laurier and Guelph are all local and that Western, Brock and the three Toronto teams are all within an hour, but they really didn't get the crowds when they hosted a few years ago - shame too, because the Sun Life Arena is a great facility. I wonder if Ottawa could host, though.

Seating capacity at Western's Thompson Arena is actually quite high - close to 5,000. On the webcasts it looks smaller because all of the seats behind on the penalty box side (i.e. opposite where the camera is) of the rink and at the end of the rink are portable (roll out, high school gym style) because there is an indoor track around the rink. However, I think if Western ever hosted the University Cup, they'd probably do it at the John Labatt Centre downtown. Having said all of that, I don't think they'd get the crowds either - this is a team that has been at or near the top of the standings for most of the past three decades and they struggle to get more than 500 people out to most games. It's a London Knights town.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote