Thread: Value of: The Flyers as Sellers?
View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
HighOFFHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
You're doing a disservice to most of the Flyers fans posting in this thread--who are far from the on-again, off-again bandwagoners you seem to imply.

I'm excited for the future of this team, but realistic about its chances this year. It isn't a matter of a "slump"--we aren't good enough to win a cup this year. We're good enough to get out of the first round, maybe, but probably not to progress further.

I agree that the Flyers won't trade off their assets (which is what I said in the text that you quoted)--if for no other reason than Snider's ego--but I think it is unwise to move our futures for short-term help.

To suggest that it's simply a matter of defensive depth seems to me to be far too shallow an analysis of this team's deficiencies. The four-non rookies have not played well enough either (Timonen mostly, but not wholly, excepted). Gill and Grossman won't be the difference between a 2nd round exit and a run to the finals.
Not disagreeing with you. As far as I can remember the Flyers were never favorites to win the cup this year. I'm just saying this franchise has an attitude that they are favorites to win every year.
As far as our defense is concerned...they are too small. No one on our back end has size except for Coburn and Mez (Who's not that big). Look at the goals we've been giving up. Wrap arounds, scrambles in front of the net, driving the net. It doesn't help that are forwards are not strong enough as well. This team needs size. When Pronger was playing 25min a night that problem was not as noticeable. But now size is our issue. I think Gill would help this team a ton. Do I think they will be favorites? no, but I suspect that we would see an improvement in their zone defense.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote