View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
sighthndlady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not a big fan of people cheering during the anthem at all. It always bothers me when people start cheering during the last line, but a lot of the time I can write it off as "well, the song SHOULD have been over 2 minutes ago".

With that said, if Chicago fans want to cheer during the entire anthem, fine. Let them... IN Chicago. Just because it's a tradition does not mean it's acceptable to carry it around to other arenas.

Forcing others to be a part of your traditions is rude.
Well said, TMI. I don't mind the chanting during a game. It just makes our fans that much louder, and our crowd should be loud enough to drown out visitors, anyway. But I am bothered by disrespect for the Anthem. I understand that, a number of years ago, this "tradition" of yelling during the Anthem got started at the United Center and that's how it is there. However, it is not appropriate and even though it may be done with the best of intentions, it does not show proper respect:

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.

The recent additional clearly shows this is not something that was just written down at one point and is no longer in vogue. Ignorance doesn't make someone less rude.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote