Thread: Value of: The Flyers as Sellers?
View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
This.

However, I think people get desperate around here and start calling for trades, but I never thought this team was ready for a cup run. But we were better than I thought this season. Actually, if Pronger would have not gone down, we might be fighting for first again. The fact is we have 3 of the top 10 rookies in the league with some other promising prospects and our core is young. unfortunately, This team is a work in progress.
You are correct. This team is a work in progress. A work in progress with seven top-9 forwards 25 or younger. This is not the kind of team where you want a 34 year old Danny Briere clogging up 6.5M in cap space.

This is also not a team that you can "just be patient" with. Our top two defensemen are 36 and 37. One of them may never play again and the other one is rumored to be retiring after next season.

This is exactly the kind of team that needs to be selling this season in order to maximize the future.

Who cares if it is realistic or not or whether or not Ed Snider will do it? Unrealistic things are discussed here every single day.

Why not talk about what would actually be best for the Flyers?

And I do not quite see how someone can stay that standing pat is best for the Flyers. If next year is Timonen's last and Pronger is done for his career, this team has a large problem that could prevent them from contending for the next four years.

So you need to decide whether you think this team is more likely to win a championship with Briere as a large piece this year, or in the next five to six years with Couturier, Schenn, JVR, and others in their prime.

I have already written this season off. The defense without Pronger is horrendous. Carle is playing with a rookie fringe NHL defenseman that cannot mask his deficiencies at all, Coburn is playing like a sixth defenseman, Meszaros has not been much better than Coburn, and the only one who is playing well is 37 year old Kimmo Timonen who just cannot handle 25 minutes per night and is not physical enough or big enough to shut down opposing teams.

Any trades that make us better for next year should certainly be considered. And I think exploring a trade of Briere could certainly make us better.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote