View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
So I'm a new player to hockey, I have roughly 15-20 games experience, and was wondering what the general consensus is on blocking shots with your body. Specifically, when a player slides on their side to block the puck in front of the goal.

I ask because I see it done, both in lower tier games, like ECHL, but also in NHL games, and then on the other end, I hear negative comments about someone being a "diver." I haven't yet done it (I play D a lot in my novice league) because I'm not sure if it's something that's frowned upon.
I think some guys may not like it because they don't want to injure anybody, especially in a house league, so they elect to not shoot when somebody is in the way like that. They probably see it as a cheap tactic to ruin a scoring opportunity. I find more people will shoot anyway so you should be careful if you're new to shot blocking.

Also, I think you may understand what a "diver" is. A diver is somebody who will intentionally fall down to draw a penalty, not somebody who dives in front of shots.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote