View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Honestly, I dont think its really too much of a debate. Suter >>>> Carle. Carle is 24th in the NHL in turnovers. If you think about the amount of defenders that play in the league (6 x 30 plus the #7 and other defenders who get called up) thats really bad. Ive already thrown out advanced stats. Carle is, the worse "defender" on the defense. The team gets scored on the most while he is out there, shots on net are the most when he is out there. He plays lower competition with good teammates also.

Suter leads the Predators with quality of competition. He is at .078 while Weber is at .063. That being said, he does play with the best quality of teammates (Weber is also 2nd in this). Its tricky though since Nashville is a good defensive team. How would Suter look without Weber? I dont know. But I do doubt that he turns into that BAD of a player without him. If anything, I remember reading quotes this past season by some Pred fans on their board how they do think Suter get under appreciated due to Weber.
Pred fans might think that Suter is under appreciated due to Weber. It would not be the first time a fan base has been wrong about something. All I know is that right now, one of them is playing with a rookie that will be a scrub sixth defenseman for his entire career if he even ends up making it in the NHL full time while the other is playing with Shea freaking Weber and their stats are still very very similar. Take it for what it is worth.

Both are minimally physical defensemen who tend towards offense and need to have a defensively responsible partner. They are quite similar.

And Carle is indeed 24th in the NHL in turnovers.

Just for fun, here's a list of defensemen who are "worse" than him:

John Carlson
PK SUBBAN
KEITH YANDLE
DION PHANEUF
ERIK KARLSSON
BRENT BURNS
Carl Gunnarsson
Dennis Wideman
Dan Boyle
DREW DOUGHTY
DAN GIRARDI
ZDENO CHARA
Jay Bouwmeester

I kind of wish Carle was a little higher up on the turnover list, since it appears to be made up almost exclusively of top pairing defensemen, the majority of which are number one defensemen. If only Carle was as "bad" as Keith Yandle or Zdeno Chara or Dan Girardi or Drew Doughty.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote