View Single Post
Old
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
As a goalie, i'll put in my 2 cents on blocking shots.

Be committed.

With blocking shots imo, it's all or nothing. Either try and block the shot or if you don't want to get hit by the puck (that's completely understandable) clear the lane so the goaltender can see the shot.

Too often, I see guys that are near the play and try and cover the defenseman. When the defenseman raises his stick for the slap shot, they freeze about half way between the shooter and the goaltender. Then they start doing weird things like jump or turn their back to the shooter, try to block a puck in mid air with their stick, ect.

Firstly, by doing this you are creating the perfect screen for the opposition.

Secondly, you will most likely end up hurting yourself because you are not using the proper technique for blocking the shot or looking at the play.

Lastly, unless Mike Green or Shea Weber is shooting the puck, i'm going to guess that 99% of goaltenders can make a save on a point shot. As long as you are in a position to clear the rebounds, everything will be fine. Thus, no need to block it, just make sure the goaltender has a good view to make the first save.

I don't think it's necessary to block shots in house league or whatever. However, if you play in a somewhat competitive league you might have to make the odd sacrifice.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote