View Single Post
Old
02-15-2012, 02:17 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The other thing about Dumba is really who was the last guy to put on an Oiler jersey that actually relished physical contact?

This guy?

The difference is Pronger kept his positioning and roughed guys up along the boards or in front of the net. He wasn't really a big open ice hitter. Pronger also logged a TON of minutes in all situations, being a complete stud in his own zone while moving the puck up to the forwards. Not exactly something Dumba is known for.

If you're looking for nasty, physical players, they don't need to be your superstars. Detroit is a good example of this.

I'm not a Dumba hater. He's really exciting to watch with the big hits and offensive rushes. I know some people are worried about his size, but that's not an issue in my mind. My concern is, can he become "the guy" you lean on defensively? I heard he had a great tourney recently (u18?) where he helped shut down some big guns, but every time I see him play, he really struggles in his own zone. That's a huge problem. Maybe he develops it and becomes the best Dman in this draft by far, or maybe he has to ride the pine in the final minute of a game since he can't be trusted. Hard to predict with players this young. But I'm of the school where you want your best players to play a lot in all situations. So you can see my concern.