View Single Post
Old
02-15-2012, 04:28 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
For all we know our "rock" could be some kid drafted in the 3rd round.

Just because you're drafted high and have a lot of hype around you pre-draft doesn't mean you are going to walk into this league and scare anyone.

Viktor Hedman was certainly picked to be Tampa's rock on D and had 10x more hype than anyone in this draft ... and all he is right now is a rock, as in a rock sinking in water. He's not anchoring anything there.

I also don't really buy that your sandpaper can be "other" minor players. I think someone in your core group needs to have some hair on their private parts, lol. Otherwise you end up like a team ala San Jose. Nice skill. Nice guys. Will never win anything when it matters though.
Completely agree that you could find a stud Dmen in the 2nd/3rd round. It happens all the time. Some of the best players in the league weren't selected in the 1st round. Forwards are easily a safer bet in the 1st.

When I said sandpaper can come from depth, I meant 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd pairing D ect. They still count as important guys, just not your star players. Like Detroit when they were winning all their cups and even today. Their best players aren't running around taking guys heads off. They get that from their depth. Just saying it's not an absolute need, but yes, it's a nice trait to have.