View Single Post
Old
02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Pacem

vCash: 500
I think honoring MacInnis is more appropriate then retiring his number. He played the majority of his career in Calgary. 43% of the games he played in the NHL were with another NHL team. I don't know where you would draw the line, but when a player plays a big chunk of his career with another team that should exclude him from having his jersey retired. Special circumstances would of course make that irrelevant. If he won multiple Norris with the Flames then how many games he played with another team would become less important. Its hard to judge where one should draw the line. His only Norris was won with St. Louis. He did play during an era filled with great dmen tho, so can't fault him for winning only 1 Norris.

As for Fleury. I think he may have messed up what little chance he had of a number retirement when those disparaging remarks about Conroy and the team. One of my idols growing up, but calling out the Flames because they wouldn't give your 41 year old ass an NHL roster spot? Grow up dude. Honoring should be done, not retiring the number. Retiring ones number should have a lot to do with what you did on and off the ice. Seems the Flames brass are picky about this stuff.

I like how its hard to get your number retired in Calgary.

Good on them for honoring numbers.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote